Howdy, all! Your weekly Office recap. NUMBER SEVEN I KNOW RIGHT. I totally rock this. Now, this week was about jury duty, and that made me sad immediately, because listen, I would kill at jury duty but I never, ever get called for it. A., I’m judgmental, B., I like to listen to things, C., I like to get out of work, D. I like to feel like I’m important, E. I like true like crime, F. I like to argue. It’s like jury duty was MADE for me. So a whole episode about jury duty just made me think about what I’m missing. NEW YORK STATE. You are missing out on the best juror that possibly ever jurored, here. TAKE ME UP ON THIS.
Season 8, Episode 13
In brief: Jim just got back from a week at jury duty, but we find out that he actually was dismissed halfway through the first day and spent the rest of the week helping Pam at home with the kids. Dwight smells a rat, and ferrets out the truth (there are a lot of animal metaphors in there, awesome) and Andy says if Jim is a liar, he’ll fire him, but then he backs down. Of course he does. He’s Andy. The whole office is furious at lying Jim until Pam brings the kids to the office and they act like kids, with screaming and such, and they all send Jim home early because they are horrified at the screamery. Angela had her baby with the gay Senator a month early, so Gabe, Erin, Kevin and Oscar go to the hospital to visit her. Only, the baby is HUGE. And not at all a preemie. And she tells Oscar that she and the gay Senator had sex a month before the wedding. When Dwight shows up (to talk to Gabe about getting Jim fired, before the screamery occurs) and Oscar spills the beans about the non-preemie status, he puts two and two together and gets “Angela and I totally screwed a month before her wedding.” He storms the hospital room and peers at the baby, who he is convinced is a Schrute. This makes him put a daddy and me bumper sticker on his car. THIS WILL NOT GO WELL YOU GUYS.
Times I laughed out loud in this episode: 10
1. Kevin having the “right month, wrong year” in the Angela’s-baby birth pool
2. Kevin thinking it would be hysterical if Angela’s baby was born black
3. Kevin’s inappropriate response to how fat Angela’s baby is (“You didn’t prepare me for this, Oscar!”)
4. Oscar’s glee in Angela’s baby being not premature and the Senator being gay (“I don’t even know which thread to follow!”)
5. Dwight seeing his baby for the first time (“You will lead millions! Willingly, or as slaves.”)
6. Dwight’s comment about being the father of Angela’s baby: “That baby is a Schrute. And unless somebody taught Mose sex, that baby is mine.” (Someone “teaching Mose sex” made me both squirm AND giggle gleefully.)
7. The Senator’s obvious discomfort with breastfeeding
8. Creed thinking Pam was Angela
9. Creed desperate to have baby Philip suck on his finger, and Pam quickly putting the pacifier in his mouth instead
10. Dwight telling the nurse to cancel the circumcision and the nurse saying “We’re…still going to circumcise the baby”
Times I wanted to punch someone: 2
1. Andy, for being SO EFFING BAD AND ANNOYING AT LYING
2. Andy, for saying no one every lied to him before (um, you were engaged? To Angela? Who was sleeping with Dwight at the time? No? Not ringing any bells?)
I kind of liked this episode a lot. As you can tell by how many times it made me laugh. The jury duty thing was not the best (possibly because of my jury duty bitterness, WHY NOT ME COURT SYSTEM), but Dwight being a dad – awesome. I do hope that the show doesn’t forget this all happened. The show has been doing that a lot lately, introducing awesome plotlines and just dropping them completely, which is annoying. What happened, for example, to the horrible social network Ryan invented? Or Dwight’s relationship with Pam’s friend from the wedding? Or the temp’s crush on Jim last week, if we want to be more recent? But if they keep up with it, I think this could be awesome. I always did like Angela and Dwight together.
“Jury Duty,” on the Creed Scale, gets:
Creed flying his roof-helicopter! Good job, guys. “Teaching Mose sex” gets a total thumbs-up.
And on a scale of one to ten Creeds, this episode gets:
Creed smoking a damn HOOKAH. Because that’s how Creed rolls.
Nice job, Office writers! I approve! (Notice there was NO Robert Effing California in this episode? KEEP THAT UP THANKS.)